Monday, October 18, 2010

Heaven Can Wait

You throw pebbles at my window in the middle of the night.
I squint out to the darkness and flick on my light
With the skill of a monkey you scale the apple tree
'Cause I know you're there to set me free

The sky is vast, does it mean we're lost?
If ice is pounded, do we call it frost?

You like the bed hair, the frumpled clothes; I smile
Before I sleep again, it will be a while
We sneak out in the dark and into your car
You whisper to me "Baby it isn't far"

I see that the knots on the rope have come undone
Tonight let's misbehave because we know that it is fun.

We sit on the hood of your car and it's dawn
I giggle and wink when you stifle your yawn
I stand up and when I start to sing our song
The sun comes up and it's hot and strong

What will be if we lie face down on the sand?
What the hell now, we've already been eternally damned!

Our mothers find out that we snuck out at night
They shock us as they smile at us without any fight
Then you grab me tightly and hold me by the waist
And say "Baby, you know, heaven can wait"

As we kiss we know that we're going to be late
We don't give a damn 'cause heaven can wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment