Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kissing Frogs



You were a tadpole, an insignificant tadpole out of millions. You were in the murky waters that you called life and you were swimming around, half blind and meeting death around each bend, your life having the guarantee of vanishing any second. And yet as you tangled up in the reeds like millions of your siblings who met their ends in the same way, I saved you. I saved you from a fate much worse than just a mere enemy. From the millions I could have saved, it was you I chose to nurture. It was you I picked out from the indistinct watery depths and it was you I saved in my little glass jar to take home with me.
I cared enough. I cared enough to find you my empty fish tank and assemble it so that you can live. I treasured you so much that I made you a comfortable home on my window sill, in that glowing glass tank with pebbles and reeds to match your liking. Was it not enough?

I loved you. I loved you enough to place you in a sunny spot on my window sill so that you can sit on a pool of molten gold sunlight and sunbathe, and I would watch you, entranced and enthralled as the million colors of the sun struck off your beautiful skin and formed the spectrum of our universe like some heavenly being. I was caught in your magic, in your beauty and design.

It was my love that made you grow. Day by day, my love made you stronger. You grew, from a tiny tadpole to a beautiful imperial frog. You skin had all the browns on autumn, all the golds of summer and all the greens of spring. Your colors glistened, glittered and glimmered, making me love you more. Yet, there was a wall that separated us.

How could I not love you? You, this beautiful thing that made my life so blissful, how could I not love it? And that itself was the root of my mistake. Love. I was so blinded by my love for you, I couldn’t see you for what you were. Then you tell me that there is only one thing that was truly keeping apart. A touch of my lips were all you needed to truly be with me, and to love you back just like I loved you.

I was a dullard. A blinded idiosyncratic fool. I kissed that forehead of yours, hoping that at least now, you would be mine. For they say that a kiss on the forehead signifies a bond of forever.

How more wrong could I have been?

You morphed into a beautiful prince. The moment my blessed lips touched you, you became this beautiful prince, with your beautiful eyes, breathtaking countenance.  The entrancing aura and ambience about you was ambrosia to my soul. I stared at you hungrily because I could never get enough of you. You were my sun, the centre of my galaxy. You whispered words of eternity in my ears. Did I believe you? It’s poignant to say I did. Your smile was heartrendingly beautiful and your touch even more.

I closed my eyes. A mere fraction of a second, I closed my eyes, to take it all in. To absorb the overwhelming sense of happiness, thinking to myself that you love back. When I opened my eyes….

….you were gone.

You were in the arms of another woman. A fraction of a second was all it took for you to leave the person who loved you for so long and cared for you. To leave the person who salvaged your battered life and gave you the kiss of life which made you into who you are.

Was I heartbroken? I suppose. Yet, more than heart ache, what lived inside me was disgust. Disgust and disbelief. Disgust that such a beautiful looking thing with a diamond facet of colors could do something so full of spite. Disbelief that you could be so heartless towards the person who loved you more than anything.

I took my leave. While you were being kissed and cuddled by another woman, I exited the stage. Did you remember the way I comforted you and held you to me? Does it feel the same? Does she say your name the same way I did? It doesn’t matter anymore though.
I thank you though. I learned so much. I learned so much that I could add to my life. Thanks to you, I would not make the same mistake twice.

Frogs come and frogs go. Us fools, blinded by what was and what will be and not seeing what is kiss these frogs. Yet, frogs will always be frogs. They won’t be princes. They may look like valiant knights, yet deep down, they are frogs. A true prince never was and never will be a frog.

You were a frog. And that is what you shall always be. 













No comments:

Post a Comment